Domestic property searches

Commercial searches       Plan only service

What you need to know

For homebuyers, the CON29DW is an essential property search. It provides information on potential drainage and water issues at a property and offers clear guidance if any problems are identified. The CON29DW search covers: 

  • whether the property is connected to a public water supply
  • how the property is charged for water and wastewater services – either measured (metered) or unmeasured (rateable value)
  • whether the property is connected to a public sewer (there may be a sealed tank, septic tank, or other private disposal facilities for which discharge consents may be needed. The owner will be responsible for the maintenance of these)
  • whether the property is close to, or is affected by, water mains or public sewers. United Utilities can (with reasonable notice) require entry to the land for inspection, repair or replacement and could even restrict the property’s use or development/extension
  • the location and distance of the nearest wastewater treatment works
  • the latest published water clarification information for the zone the property is located in.

Please note, for a domestic CON29DW search, a residential property is defined as a single dwelling-house, together with any associated land, e.g. a garden that is, or is meant to be, sold with the dwelling. A dwelling house means a building, or part of a building, intended to be occupied as a separate dwelling. The definition includes homes that are not yet built and new homes being sold off-plan.

You can also order a water plan and connection check. This search is mainly aimed at our neighbouring water and sewerage companies who are completing a water and drainage search as the sewerage undertaker and need us to provide the water connection data and plan, as we are the incumbent water supplier.  

Read more or order now

Download DWSN Guide to the CON29DWs

View a CON29DW Residential sample


CON29DW Residential Terms & Conditions


Free access to sewer and water records

The regulated business United Utilities Water Ltd has to make both water and sewer records available to view for free. You can view the sewer records at your local authority (you’ll need to contact them direct to arrange this). If you wish to view both the water and the sewer records you can do so via United Utilities' on-line viewing facility. Property Searches manages the appointment diary on behalf of UU Water Ltd so please contact us on 03707 510101 to book an appointment.